You probably wonder what are pastry blenders and why should you have one in the kitchen?
Well, pastry blenders are rather simple hand-held kitchen tools, yet highly useful. Pastry blenders are used to cut buttery dough into smaller pieces, suitable for making pie crusts, croissants and similar pastry that requires a bit more detail to it.
But why should you choose pastry blenders over things like knives?
Pastry blenders are simply better, safer and less time consuming than regular knives, yet pastry blenders are as easy to clean as regular knives.
Now that we have why’s and what’s out of the way, we can find out what are the best pastry blenders on the market.
10 Best Pastry Blenders
Currently one of the best pastry blenders on the market is indeed the Orblue Pastry Cutter.
It is brought to you by Orblue company, responsible for bringing a lot of high quality kitchen tools to the daily lives of their buyers.
So, what makes the Orblue Pastry Cutter one of the best pastry blenders for our kitchens?
Orblue Pastry Cutter is made from stainless steel, which means that it will not break, it will not rust and it will not bend.
The stainless steel construction keeps also keeps the blades sharp and intact for a long time, ensuring that you will be able to make your pastry effortlessly for decades.
Another thing that stands out with Orblue Pastry Cutter is its handle. It is designed in a way that will ensure you with a good grip while cutting and mixing your dough.
The black soft-grip handle is neither too thick nor too thin, guaranteeing that you will able to comfortably wrap your fingers around it and that it won’t come easily come loose in your hands.
– Orblue Pastry Cutter is one of the most affordable pastry blenders on the market.
Whether you are a professional baker or just a person who likes baking cookies at home, you will definitely find this product very useful and will quickly figure out why this is one of the best pastry blenders on the market.
- Stainless steel construction: The body and the blades of Orblue Pastry Cutter are made from stainless steel which guarantees that this pastry blender will serve your kitchen for a long time.
- Comfortable Grip: The soft handle will make the process of mixing and cutting dough a lot easier, making sure to lessen the strain on your hands and provide you with a firm grip.
- Wobbly caps on the handle: Even though the handle is designed in such a way that is comfortable, the caps have a tendency to fall off, thus making the handle detach from the body.
2. OXO Good Grips
Brought to you by Oxo, this stainless steel pastry blender will cut and mix dough without any hassle.
Main feature of OXO Good Grips pastry blender is its simplicity and ease of use. It does what it was intended to do and it does it really well.
Simple design of its body and the stainless steel construction will ensure that OXO pastry blender will not rust nor will the blades bend easily.
Another amazing thing about the design of this pastry blender is that you can safely wash it in a dishwasher. There is not a lot of screws, caps or moving parts, so you can safely pop it in a dishwasher after you finish cutting and mixing your dough.
OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Bladed Dough Blender is on the cheap side. Easily affordable, it will easily satisfy your baking needs.
Weighing the pros and cons of OXO dough blender you can easily conclude that it is worth the money and that it deserves a spot among the current best pastry blenders.
- Simple Design: Design of OXO pastry blender is simple: sturdy body, soft handle and sharp blades. There not too much to it, but it does what it was intended to do.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless Steel construction ensures that the body and blades will last for long time without bending or rusting
- Dishwasher Safe: Another benefit of its simplicity. You won’t have to manually wash it.
- Weak handle – While the body and the blades are quite sturdy, the handle is plastic and it doesn’t handle too much pressure quite well.
3. Spring Chef
There is one thing that going on for Spring Chef Dough Blender over its competitors and it is definitely its sturdiness.
Yes, Spring Chef Dough Blender is a tad bit heavier than the other competing products but for us that prefer the sturdiness and heaviness in our blenders – this easily makes it one of the best pastry blenders available.
I should add that it is not really heavy, but just heavy enough that it makes cutting dough a lot easier.
It can also cut fruit, vegetables and nuts, you also can make salsa, baby food and a variety of sauces with Spring Chef Dough Blender.
Another thing that sticks out with Spring Chef’s Dough Blender is its high quality handle.
The handle is quite sturdy and handles pressure incredibly well and you can grip it without the fear of it breaking or slipping out of your hands.
The only downside is that it isn’t really suited for big hands. If you are have larger than average hands, you will probably encounter some issues while using this dough blender.
Spring Chef Dough Blender is a bit pricier than its competitors, but still affordable.
Spring Chef Dough Blender is an interesting product, and a bit different than its competitors. So, if you are a fan of heavier and sturdier blenders with thick blades, then this is definitely the best pastry blender for you.
- Sturdiness: The whole construction is incredibly sturdy and will last you for a long time without having to worry about breaking the thing.
- Quality Handle: You can put as much pressure as you want and the handle will stay in place.
- Thicker Blades: Thicker blades are a specific feature of this product, making it not only useful for mixing dough, but also for cutting fruits, vegetables, making sauces, etc.
- Size of the handle: Handle is a bit small, if your hands are big, you’ll have some discomfort using it.
4. Norpro 3245
The name of Norpro 3245 Grip Ez Pastry Blender sounds a bit complicated, but in reality, it is really easy to use. It is a pastry blender, so using it isn’t exactly rocket science.
First thing you will notice when you start using Norpro is that it is indeed very light. It weighs around.
Some may dislike this fact, but for people that favour lighter pastry blenders – this should be satisfying to use.
But due to the lighter structure, it is not recommended to wash it in a dishwasher. So, just to be on the safe side, hand wash your Norpro pastry blender.
The body is made from stainless steel and it does not rust, nor bend that easily, and the blades will stay sharp for a long time.
The handle is designed with both right handed and left handed people in mind, so using it shouldn’t really be a problem for anyone.
Norpro 3245 Grip Ez Pastry Blender is really cheap, and if something breaks you can easily get a new one.
Norpro 3245 Grip Ez Pastry Blender may not be the best pastry blender on the market, but it will serve its purpose. I would definitely recommend Norpro if you need a cheap blender, not something that will serve you a lifetime.
- Does not weigh much – It’s really light and easy to handle
- Ambidextral – Designed for both left handed and right handed people
- Sturdy body – Constructed from stainless steel that will last a lot of time without rusting or bending
- Weak handle – Handle is made from light plastic and breaks easily
5. Cuisinart CTG-00-DB
Here’s another dough blender with a complicated name. This time brought to you by Cuisinart.
This blender really does look impressive, even though the looks are not the thing that matter the most with pastry blenders.
This dough blender is also light, around , but performs better than its Norpro counterpart. The handle really feels sturdy, as well as the body.
The body is made from stainless steel and it resist rust and doesn’t bend easily. The blades are sharp and will stay sharp for a long time.
Another good feature of this dough blender is that dough or any other material is not gonna stick to it easily.
You can wash it safely in a dishwasher, but in reality, you can just as easily wash with some mild soap under a stream of warm water.
Cuisinart CTG-00-DB Dough Blender has a low price tag and it’s easily affordable.
If you are in need of a cheap, yet good quality pastry blender, then this is one of the best pastry blenders you can get.
- Stylish: It is not the main feature of any pastry blenders, but it looks very stylish.
- Easy to clean: Almost nothing sticks to it, so you can even easily clean with some soap and water, or you can use a dishwasher.
- Light: Light and easy to use. Prolonged use will not strain your hands.
- Weak handle: Sadly, this product suffers from the same problem as a lot of other pastry blenders and will break if under a lot of pressure.
6. Winco 5
Winco 5 Blade Pastry Blender is a bit different from other pastry blenders on this list so far.
What makes the Winco 5 Blade Pastry Blender stand out is its full steel body and the fact that it is incredibly light.
Yes, this Winco’s Pastry Blender is the first pastry blender on this list that is fully made from stainless steel.
That ensures that it won’t rust as easily, it won’t break as easily and the handle will survive through a lot more than the regular plastic one can.
Other redeeming quality of this product is its lightness. It weighs only . Some may shun it for this fact, but most people will adore it for this.
In the end, it is mostly a matter of preference. This pastry blender will be easy to use and your hands won’t get tired at all, even after prolonged use.
It should be added that you shouldn’t really put too much pressure on it because the blades will bend. If you are careful with it, you shouldn’t encounter a lot of bending.
Winco 5 Blade Pastry Blender is very affordable.
Winco 5 Blade Pastry Blender probably isn’t the best pastry blender on the market, but it sure is one of the top ones.
- Full steel body and handle: Both the body and the handle are made from stainless steel.
- Light: Only weighs , making it really easy to use.
- Dishwasher safe: Since it is made fully from steel and there’s no janky parts, you can freely wash it in a dishwasher.
- Bends easily: Due to its lightness, it bends easily under pressure
7. Utopia Kitchen
Another full steel pastry blender comes to this list is this time it is brought to you by Utopia Kitchen.
It is very similar to the previous Winco’s pastry blender, but it’s a bit heavier. It weighs around .
The whole body is made of stainless steel, which makes it really sturdy and rust resistant.
It is fitted with five blades that will stay sharp for a long time and will make cutting and mixing a lot easier.
The body is not too big, so it fits neatly into kitchen cabinets and drawers.
The metal handle feels quite comfortable during use and it actually doesn’t spin nor move at all, no matter the pressure.
The width of the handle is , wide enough for people with bigger hands to use,so it avoids the problem that a lot of other pastry cutters have.
Utopia Kitchen’s pastry blender is affordable, but doesn’t lose anything in regards to quality.
If you are looking for a full steel pastry blender that is also sturdy, light and affordable, then this is definitely the best pastry blender for you.
- Full steel body: The whole body is made of steel, so it adds to the sturdiness of the product.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel blades ensure sharpness and longevity.
- Sharp edges on the handle – The edges on the handle are a bit raw, so if you put your finger there, it doesn’t feel comfortable.
8. Progressive Blade
Progressive Blade’s Prepworks pastry blender is definitely the most unique pastry blender on this list.
First thing that differentiates this pastry blender from the other is the integrated cleaning tab.
The integrated cleaning tab is a piece of plastic that is fitted onto the upper side of the blades and it cleans them by sliding over them.
Sure it does seem useful, but for some people it can present a hassle or an unwanted feature.
Other distinct feature of Prepworks pastry blender is the design. It is a bit taller than rest of the pastry blender.
The main function of this is to keep your hands out of the flour. I guess that some people just don’t like to touch dough and flour.
It also comes in a stylish red colour and is equipped with 6 blades for more detailed cutting.
Prepworks by Progressive Blade Pastry Blender is a bit pricier, but it’s still affordable and on the cheaper side.
If you want a pastry blender that a bit different and that has a self cleaning tab, you should definitely buy Prepworks.
If you want the same, stale, traditional pastry blenders, then Prepworks may not be the best pastry blender for you.
- Integrated Cleaning Tab: It has an integrated cleaning tab which cleans the blades by sliding over them.
- Taller Design: Its taller design allows you to mix or cut dough without your hands touching it.
- Dishwasher Safe: Even though the parts feel a bit flimsy, it will stay intact after a wash.
- Cleaning tab feels flimsy – Cleaning tab shakes a lot and generally feels really flimsy.
9. Norpro 3247
Here’s another pastry blender by Norpro. This time it is Norpro model 3247 Deluxe Pastry Blender.
Key feature of this pastry blender is that it has a full steel body, including the handle.
This Norpro model feels really sturdy and it is quite easy to use, even though it is on the heavier side.
It weighs , but it doesn’t feel any different to any of the lighter pastry cutters.
The handle is made to accommodate left handed people as much as the right handed. It feels secure in the hand and doesn’t slip.
The whole construction is made from durable stainless steel, so it is resistant to rust and the blades can handle a lot of usage and will stay sharp over time.
They can take a lot of pressure and will not bend as easily.
Norpro model 3247 Deluxe Pastry Blender is cheap, but it doesn’t suffer in the matters of quality.
Norpro model 3247 Deluxe Pastry Blender is definitely worth buying. It’s sturdy, it can handle pressure and it will last you for a long time. Yes, it may not be the best pastry blender, but it is a very good one.
- Stainless steel: It is constructed from stainless steel, which keeps it from rusting and keeps the blades from getting dull easily.
- Full steel body and handle: Full steel body and handle guarantee the sturdiness of the pastry blender. It is heavy and sturdy, and the handle can take a lot of pressure.
- Not dishwasher safe: Even though nothing will happen to it if you wash it in a dishwasher, the creators still recommend hand washing this model.
10. The Galley Stop
Galley Stop doesn’t offer us anything new in matters of design, but it delivers in matter of quality.
Galley Stop pastry cutter is heavy and sturdy. It weighs almost . Yes, it is heavy, but it is almost unbreakable.
You can press on it as much as you want and this thing will not succumb. The body and the blades are made from quality stainless steel that is resistant to rust.
The handle is plastic, but it has a great grip and holds up really well under pressure.
There’s is not a lot of screws or caps, so there’s no real danger of it falling apart in a dishwasher or during use.
Galley Stop Stainless Steel Pastry Dough Cutter is in the same price range as the rest of the reviewed products and it is really affordable.
If you prefer heavier and sturdier pastry cutters, than this is the best pastry blender.
- Great Handle: Handle feels great and it can handle a lot of pressure.
- Dishwasher Safe: Not a lot of screws nor caps, so you can safely wash it in a dishwasher.
- Weight: It weighs . Some people dislike heavier pastry cutters, but some wouldn’t consider it a con.
Q: What kind of a material should I look for in a pastry blender?
A: Just make sure that the blades are made from stainless steel, other parts aren’t as important.
Q: Does handle size matter?
A: Yes and No. If your hands are larger, then the best pastry blenders are the ones with wider handles. Otherwise, handle size doesn’t present an issue besides a mild inconvenience.
Q: Can I the pastry blenders be washed in dishwasher?
A: It depends on the model. And even if they can’t, they are pretty easy to wash by hand.
Q: Are the heavier pastry blenders better than the lighter version?
A: Not really. Yes it’s easier to cut with them, but your hands will get tired faster. They are as equally good.