Easy Restaurant Appetizers You Can Copy at Home
Eating out can be expensive. In fact, the average American spends over $3,000 a year dining out. Additionally, 90% of Americans say that they don’t like to cook.
This explains the rise of services such as meal subscription kits and food delivery startups.
However, replicating restaurant food in your home doesn’t have to be a drag, and the cooking isn’t always complex and difficult.
You can create plenty of delicious restaurant-quality dishes in your own home to impress your friends and family with, for a fraction of the cost of dining out.
Here are two easy restaurant appetizers you can easily create in your own kitchen, that are tasty and satisfying.
Photo from The Cut Cook: centercutcook.com
Chicken lollipops are an easy appetizer that are a favorite with the whole family.
You can’t get more homey than this classic restaurant appetizer – it is a true crowd pleaser that will keep everyone coming back for more.
□ 30 chicken wing knuckles
□ ½ cup of cornflour
□ 1 tbsp of Old Bay Seasoning
□ 1 tbsp of kosher salt
□ 1 tbsp of cracked black pepper
□ 1 liter of vegetable oil
The trick to preparing the wings is to use the knuckle part of the chicken wing, and using a knife, remove the meat from the thin bone part.
This will leave the handle for your to hold on to your cooked wing while you eat it. As an option for convenience, you can wrap each bone end with aluminum foil.
- Mix the cornflour, Old Bay, salt and pepper in a large bowl
- Add in your chicken wings, making sure that they are completely coated
- Deep fry the chicken wings in your fryer for 8 minutes
- Remove the wings from the fryer and and dry off on some kitchen paper before serving
These wings go beautifully with salsa, or even a simple ranch dip.
Photo from Feasting at Home: feastingathome.com
A beautiful fish ceviche is one of the simplest things you can make at home, and it doesn’t require any cooking.
This delicately cured raw fish dish wouldn’t can be found regularly on the seasonal menu at Chef Rene Redzepi’s Noma restaurant in Denmark.
Ceviche is one of those restaurant appetizers you can easily prepare in advance and serve just on it’s own, or try with tortillas.
□ 250 grams of white fish fillets
□ Juice of 4 limes
□ ½ finely chopped red onion
□ 4 chopped green olives
□ 1 chopped green chill
□ A handful of roughly chopped coriander
□ 2 Avocados (optional)
- Slice your white fish fillets into thin pieces, make sure that you have removed the skin, and that there are no bones
- Combine the fish with the onion and lime juice in a bowl and refrigerate. The lime juice will cure the fish, giving it a beautiful, delicate flavor
- After 2 hours remove the bowl of fish from the fridge and add in the other ingredients, mixing well
- Serve with pieces of tortilla, or simply on it’s own on a beautiful plate. Serves 4 people as an appetizer
Playwright George Bernard Shaw said “There is no sincere love, than the love of food.” You can create these perfect restaurant appetizers in your own home, and enjoy a beautiful meal.